Chippewa Falls woman died from carbon monoxide
Some questions remain unanswered as the investigation into a fatal fire wraps up.
Kathleen Lindsey died Friday after her mobile home caught fire. The Chippewa Falls fire chief says the fire started in the living room near a wall. Investigators believe the flames were sparked by a cigarette or electrical problem. Fire crews found Lindsey unconscious near a back door. They tried to rescue her, but she died from smoke inhalation. The fire chief says there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
The investigation into the cause and origin of the above named incident has been completed by the Chippewa Falls Fire & Emergency Services Department & the Chippewa Falls Police Department.
The origin of the fire was located near the easy chair, wicker table, and the east end of the couch located near the south wall of the living room. Investigators were unable to identify a cause of the fire, however, due to the information provide by family members, it is likely that the cause was careless use of smoking materials although electrical can cannot be completely ruled out. It is believed that a cigarette either fell off the table onto the recliner or the carpet causing the table, chair, and couch to go up in flames. Fire then consumed the wall and spread throughout the trailer before being noticed by neighbors who reported the fire by calling 9-1-1at 02:49 AM.
No smoke alarms were located anywhere within the residence. It appears as though Kathleen Lindsey was sleeping in her bed in the east bedroom. Family members indicated that she normally slept with her bedroom door closed. With the origin of the fire in the living room, the fire would have consumed the vast majority of the oxygen in the residence before the heat and…